Temporary Residence

  • Work Permit
  • Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • Visitor Visas / Super Visas & Extensions
  • Study Permits & Extensions
  • Business Visitor Visas
  • Post Graduate Work Permit / Co-op Work Permit
  • Spousal Open Work Permit
  • Intra-Company Transferee
  • Nafta Work Permit

Skilled workers who are interested in working in Canada, but are not eligible for an existing immigration program, may be interested in pursuing a temporary work permit. To work in Canada foreign nationals must first obtain work permit, to obtain work permit in Canada, candidate usually have pre-arranged employment from an employer authorized to hire you. Work experience gained while on a temporary work permit may increase the candidate’s eligibility for permanent residence immigration programs. If you are accompanying a spouse or common-law partner to Canada you may be eligible for a spousal work permit.

To qualify for the Work permit, applicants must:

  • Have a job offer from a Canadian employer. In most cases, the employer who has offered a position will need to apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment to get permission from the Canadian government to hire a foreign worker.
  • Not be inadmissible to Canada for any reason. Individuals can be inadmissible to Canada for criminal, medical or financial reasons.

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to obtain before hiring a foreign worker.An employer hiring a foreign worker will submit an application for an LMIA which will render either positive or negative results. A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job and that no Canadian worker is available to do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter.

Visitor Visas

A visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa) is an official document that shows that you meet the requirements needed to enter Canada.Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada.At the port of entry, the border services officer may allow you to stay for less or more than 6 months.

You must meet some basic requirements to get a visitor visa. You must:

  • Have a valid travel document, like a passport
  • Be in good health
  • Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
  • Convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
  • Have enough money for your stay
  • The amount of money you will need depends on how long you will stay and if you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.

Super Visas

Super Visa lets the parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to come to Canada as visitors for a period of up to two consecutive years at their initial visit without having to renew their status. It is multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years.

The application process is similar to that for a regular Temporary Resident Visas. However, additional documentation is required to ensure that the parents and grandparents will be well supported during their time in Canada. This requirement includes:

  • A letter of invitation from the child or grandchild residing in Canada.
  • Documents that prove the child or grandchild meets the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) minimum.
  • Proof of parental relationship with child or grandchild, such as a birth certificate that names him or her as a parent; and
  • Proof of medical insurance coveragearound $ 100,000 for at least one year with a Canadian insurance company.

The applicants cannot be inadmissible to Canada on the basis of health or security.

Choosing to study in Canada is a rewarding decision that can provide a world class education, a truly multi-cultural learning experience and a network of friends and professional contacts that will benefit you over a lifetime.Canada is a global leader in providing educational and immigration opportunities to international students.Canadian schools offer quality education with affordable tuition rates in a country which boasts one of the highest rates of international student satisfaction in the world. Studying in Canada is the first step in becoming Canadian. Graduates from Canadian colleges and universities are eligible for post-secondary work permits.

To be eligible you must:

  • Be accepted by Canadian Colleges or University
  • Meet the academic and language required by Institute and Visa Office
  • Clear the Medical Exam
  • Meet the Financial requirement

Your spouse or common law partner and dependent children may accompany you to Canada while you study in Canada as an International student.

If you want to visit Canada on business, you’ll need to business visa. Business visitors usually stay in Canada for a few days or a few weeks, but are able to stay for up to 6 months.

  • The Canada Business Immigration Category of visas was designed to attract experienced business people to Canada.
  • Successful candidates are those who can invest in Canada, start businesses in Canada and generate revenues and employment for Canadians.
  • Business Visa also includes attending meeting, seminars and conferences.
  • Candidates come to take part in international business activities without being part of the Canadian labour market

To qualify as a business visitor to Canada, you must show that:

  • You plan to stay for less than 6 months
  • You don’t plan to enter the Canadian labour market
  • Your main place of business and source of income and profits is outside Canada
  • You have documents that support your application
  • You meet Canada’s basic entry requirements, because you
    • Have a valid travel document, such as a passport
    • Have enough money for your stay and to return home
    • Plan to leave Canada at the end of your visit
    • Are not a criminal, security or health risk to Canadians

Post Graduate Work Permit

In its effort to retain international students, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) operate a Post-Graduate Work Permit Program. Under this program, international graduates may obtain an open work permit — for up to three years! This allows them to work for any Canadian employer in any industry without the requirement of a Canadian job offer at the time of applying.

  • Graduates of Canadian academic programs of at least eight months in duration can move from a study permit to a Canada post-graduate work permit. The period of validity of the Canadian work permit will depend on the length of study in Canada.
  • Graduates of Canadian post-secondary institutions are eligible for a one-time post-graduation work permit after completing their studies.
  • These open work permits grant work authorization to international students, allowing them to gain valuable Canadian work experience that may be used as part of a later application for Permanent Residency.
  • A work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years.
  • A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length.

Co-op Work Permit

Some study programs include work experience as part of their curriculum. You can apply for a co-op or intern work permit if:

  • You have a valid study permit
  • Work is required to complete your study program in Canada
  • You have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree, and
  • Your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program

You aren’t eligible for a co-op work permit if you’re taking one of the following:

  • English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL)
  • General interest courses, or
  • Courses to prepare for another study program.

Spouses and common-law partners of foreign students and foreign workers are in most cases entitled to accompany then while they study or work in Canada. The spouse or common-law partners will be entitled to an open work permit to work in Canada in certain managerial, executive or professional highly skilled occupations. These work permit applications may be made alongside the principal application for a study permit or work permit.

In some cases, your spouse or common-law partner may be able to apply for an open work permit—allowing him or her to accept any job with any employer. In others, your spouse or common-law partner must apply for a work permit for a specific employer. The employer may have to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). An LMIA allows an employer to hire someone for a specific job. Contact us to find out if your spouse or common-law partner's employer needs an LMIA to hire them.

This type of work permit facilitates the transfer of employees from a foreign–based company to a Canadian branch, affiliate or subsidiary/parent of the company located outside of Canada. The intra-company transferees program encourage the transmission of knowledge from foreign senior-level or qualified professionals and employees to Canada temporarily.

Your employer must:

  • Submit an offer of employment to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada,
  • Pay a $230 employer compliance fee, and
  • Provide you with an offer of employment number.

Applicants must meet the following requirements

  • Have worked for a foreign company for at least one year on a full-time basis
  • Should help the company be more competitive internationally, which would help its Canadian operations.
  • Held a specialized knowledge position or a senior or managerial position
  • Should be for expansion purposes and management needs
  • You must be coming to the parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of the same organization.

The NAFTA seeks to liberalize trade between the U.S., Mexico and Canada and abolish tariffs and other trade barriers. The Agreement opens up the three countries’ markets by ensuring that future laws will not create barriers to doing business. Individuals who have American or Mexican citizenship and are setting up or buying a business in Canada may qualify for a NAFTA Investor work permit. A NAFTA Professional can be qualified to work in one of approximately 60 targeted professions. Depending on his or her profession, an applicant may be required to provide educational credentials and/or proof of work experience in the field.

There is no minimum investment required;the amount of investment must be significant in proportion to the business venture and no need for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).The NAFTA work permit can be valid for up to 3 years. The principal NAFTA worker’s spousecan apply for an open work permit and children can be eligible to apply for study permit.