Permanent Residence

Family Sponsorship

Spousal/Partner And Dependent Child

The Family Class Sponsorship Program reunites family members in Canada. If you are Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada, through the Family Class program you may sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, dependent children, parents and grandparents. 

To sponsor, you must :

  • Who Can Be Sponsored?
  • Parent & Grandparents Sponsorship
  • You cannot be a sponsor if you
  • Federal Skilled Worker Class (FSWP)
  • Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
  • Caregivers
  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

Only the following members of the family class may be sponsored:

  • Spouse: legally married to you and is at least 18 years old
  • Common-law partner: you’ve been living together continuously for 1 year in a conjugal relationship and is at least 18 years old
  • Conjugal partner: Conjugal relationship for at least 12 months (permanence and commitment) where couple could not live together or get married due to marital status, religious reasons, sexual orientation or immigration barriers. The Conjugal partner is at least 18 years old
  • Dependent children: Dependent children, both biological and adopted, may be sponsored to live with their parent(s) as permanent residents in Canada.
  • Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
    • They’re under 22 years old
    • They don’t have a spouse or common law partner
  • Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
    • They are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
    • They have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22

The sponsored person must be the parent(s) or grandparent(s) of the sponsor

  • Were sponsored by a spouse or partner and became a Permanent Resident less than five years ago.
  • Were sponsored by a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a Permanent Resident.
  • Is in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison.
  • Are in default of a previous sponsorship undertaking.
  • Are in the process of a bankruptcy proceeding.
  • Receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability.
  • Were convicted of a violent or sexual offence or are in jail.
  • Are under a removal order; or
  • Have already applied to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child and a decision has not yet been made
  • Did not pay an immigration loan, a performance bond and/or family support payments

The Federal Skilled Trade is for skilled trade’s people who want to immigrate to Canada. To qualify, applicants must have at least two years work experience in a skilled trade in the last five years and meet certain minimum language requirements.

The FSWC is prescribed as a class of people who meet all of the following criteria:

  • Are skilled workers
  • May become permanent residents on the basis of their ability to become economically established in Canada
  • Intend to reside in a province other than Quebec

If you want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, your first step is to submit your profile to the Express Entry pool.

If you’re eligible:

  • You will be placed in a pool with others who are also eligible
  • You will be a scored an ranked using several factors of Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS)
  • You will be invited to apply to be a permanent resident of Canada (if you’re one of the top candidates)
  • You can only apply for permanent resident if we send you an invitation to apply.

The Provincial Nominee Program is a joint-program involving the provinces of Canada and the federal government, permitting provinces to design their own immigration programs and actively manage immigrant selection in accordance with provincial plans and priorities.

Applicants to all provincial nominee programs must meet federal admissibility criteria in order to enter Canada. Applicants seeking a provincial nomination from any one of the participating provinces must first ensure they meet the program criteria specific to that province, and make their applications in two parts: first to the provincial program administration and then to the federal government department responsible for immigrant selection.

Each province and territory has its own “streams” (immigration programs that target certain groups) and requirements to their individual economic and demographic needs. For example, in a program stream, provinces and territories may target:

  • Students
  • Business people
  • Skilled workers
  • Semi-skilled workers

This program is for workers who:

  • Have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory
  • Want to live in that province, and
  • Want to become permanent residents of Canada

The Canadian experience class (CEC) is a permanent residence category for people with skilled work experience in Canada. This program is developed for temporary foreign workers and foreign graduates with qualifying Canadian work experience. The work experience must have be in a managerial position (classified as NOC Skill Type 0), a professional position (classified as NOC Skill Type A), or a technical or skilled trade job (classified as NOC Skill Type B).

Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements. They must

  • Have obtained at least one year of full time (30 hours per week) work experience in Canada or equivalent amount of part time work experience, in the three years prior to the application date.
  • Meet the minimum language requirements needed: CLB 5 for NOC B and CLB 7 for NOC 0 and A
  • Have gained your experience in Canada with legal authorization
  • Plan to live and work outside of the province of Quebec (individuals with work experience in Quebec and who plan to reside in Quebec may apply to the Quebec Experience Class).

Home child care provider and Home support worker pilot program

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the Home Support Worker Pilot are 5-year pilot programs that let qualified caregivers and their family members come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents.

If you’ve been offered a job in Canada as a caregiver or have experience working in Canada as a caregiver, you may be able to apply for permanent residence through one of these pilots.The application process will be different depending on your situation and how much qualifying work experience you have.

Both the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot will only provide work permits to caregivers who have a job offer in Canada and who meet the following criteria:

  • Language tests results showing a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 5.
  • One year of Canadian post-secondary education or the foreign equivalent.

Through these pilots, you’ll get an open work permit to come to Canada and work temporarily. This work permit:

  • Is occupation-restricted (so you have to work in that specific occupation)
  • Doesn’t need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • Lets you get the work experience you need to be eligible for permanent residence
  • Open work permits for spouses/common-law partners and study permits for dependent children, to allow the caregiver’s family to accompany them to Canada.

If you recently worked as a home child care provider or support worker, your experience may count towards your eligibility for permanent residence.

The Atlantic Immigration Pilot helps you hire qualified candidates for jobs you haven’t been able to fill locally. These candidates can be overseas or living in Canada temporarily.

There are 3 programs you can use to hire someone:

  • Atlantic International Graduate Program
  • Atlantic High-skilled Program
  • Atlantic Intermediate-skilled Program

Each program has requirements that employer and the candidate must meet. Before the employer make a job offer, they must be designated by the provincial government of the Atlantic province in one these four provinces New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island, where the candidate will be working.

Applicants to the Atlantic Immigration Pilot must demonstrate that they have a job offer that is:

  • From a designated employer in one of the four Atlantic provinces.
  • For full-time employment for at least one year.
  • Non-seasonal.
  • Skilled (i.e. in a managerial, professional, or technical/trades position at skill type 0, A or, B of the National Occupational Classification [NOC]); and
  • Supported by a provincial certificate of endorsement from the province that indicates that the job offer is genuine and that a needs assessment has been completed and a settlement plan is in place for the applicant and each member of the family.

In all 3 Atlantic Immigration Pilot programs, candidate have to show proof that you meet the language, education and work experience requirements of the program you are applying under and that you have enough money to support you and your family when you come to Canada.

Once employer make a job offer, employer and the candidate will work through several steps. If you and the candidate meet all the requirements, the candidate gets permanent resident status in Canada.